Skip to main content

Another Start

 Chapter One

I find myself awake at just past midnight. I must have passed out after almost finishing a fifth of Jack. I had a dream that I wrote a truly awful novel based on my life. It chronicled my sad little life from my earliest memories until my last moment, about six months after I graduated from college. It amounted to a valueless collection of hopes and lost desires (to borrow from Ian).

It is now my twenty-first birthday, at least it will be at around 2:30 pm. In a month, I will be restarting my college career with the hopes of graduating soon.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliography: Artificial Intelligence Articles

CHATGPT AS THE ENEMY: New Sanctions Against Lawyers Relying on ChatGPT Likely as Jay Edelson Speaks of ChatGPT Encouraging Suicide , Eric Troutman, JDSupra (Feb. 16, 2026) What’s Left For Humans? , Georgia Wells, Wall Street Journal (Feb. 15, 2026) Will LLMs Become Obsolete? , John Werner, Forbes  (Feb. 14, 2026) When AI Isn’t Privileged , Jeffrey Ehrlich et al., JDSupra (Feb. 13, 2026)  The Perils of Blind Faith in Artificial Intelligence , Kristen Coleman & Alan Taylor, JDSupra (Feb. 13, 2026)  Calif. Atty Wins $25K Fee Sanction Over AI Errors , Emily Sawicki,  Law360  (Feb. 11, 2026) OpenAI Is Making the Mistakes Facebook Made. I Quit. , Zoë Hitzig, N.Y. Times (Feb. 11, 2026) No, the human-robot singularity isn’t here. But we must take action to govern AI , Samuel Woolley, The Guardian (Feb. 10, 2026) OpenAI Executive Who Opposed ‘Adult Mode’ Fired for Sexual Discrimination , Georgia Wells, N.Y. Times (Feb. 10, 2026) A.I. Is Giving You a Personaliz...

Miss Criss: The Heart of John Marshall, In the Loop, The John Marshall Law School, Oct. 28, 2012

This article was originally published in The John Marshall Law School's "In The Loop". The article has been edited in part for consistency.   When students leave The John Marshall Law School, they remember a favorite professor, a heart-stopping exam, good times with their study group, teammates in a competition. And, the indelible mark of love is given to students by Miss Marilyn J. Criss. They carry her endearment with them for years. She is a special person who brings a kind spirit to the law school through her warmth, compassion and genuine love for all associated with the law school. What goes on in the classroom is important, but just as important is for students to know they have someone to turn to when they have a problem. Miss Criss, the administrative assistant in Student Affairs, is their shoulder to cry on, the knowledgeable mother who can give advice, and the great confidant. She doesn’t judge. In her eyes, everyone is equal and all deserve respect. “It behoov...

A Sad State of Fandom (Originally Written June 7, 2024)

I write today as a lifelong White Sox fan, but one deeply troubled by the current state and direction of our beloved team. Since 1981, we've experienced one championship and endured many losing seasons, always with the hope of better things to come. However, it has become increasingly clear that the stewardship of our team leaves much to be desired. It is with a heavy heart that I call on my fellow fans to reconsider our support for the team under the current ownership's direction (or lack thereof). The lack of willingness to invest in quality players is a glaring issue that cannot be overlooked any longer. We've watched as our rivals have strengthened their rosters, making bold moves to compete at the highest level, while our team's commitment to building a championship-caliber squad seems tepid by comparison. This has not only impacted the team’s performance on the field but has dampened the spirit and passion of a fan base eager for success. Equally concerning is...